Thursday, April 29, 2010

I love my mission! April 28, 2010

I LOVE MY MISSION!!!!!! I really wish that everyone was able to go on a mission! They are probably the best thing ever!!!! There are so many wonderful experiences that come along with being a missionary along with all the blessings as well. It’s crazy how when the lord says, “take you no thought beforehand what you should eat, or what you should wear, or what you shall say, for I the Lord will give it thee,” that he really will. Yesterday was such a good day. We were able to go and see a less active in the church that lived out in Hartselle about 10 or 15 miles away from Decatur. Well when we went we were able to find out how she heard about the church and how she got baptized and then she told us how she fell away from the church. It started when she got cancer up in Gunnersville. Well she had asked her Bishop to go to the hospital to pray with her before the surgery and so that if she didn’t make it out alive she wouldn’t have to die alone because she only has one brother and she hasn’t heard of him in 9 years and doesn’t even know if he is alive, and she has a son that is in prison in Montgomery. Well the bishop told her that he couldn’t take off work and wouldn’t be able to. Well she survived the surgery and then went home hoping that some of the ward members would come and check on her and see if she was alright like they said they would. Well none of them did for 2 weeks she was by herself after surgery from getting a breast removed. She said though at the end of this story, “I know though that the church is true and that the church didn’t let me down but the people in the church did and that is why I went and asked for my name to be removed and haven’t been back since.” It was such a powerful testimony to me about the importance of being a good member and not thinking of yourself but of other people and what they might be needing and how you can help them. Like the scripture says, “When you are in the service of your fellow beings you are only in the service of your God.” SO my question is Why not serve everyone that we know of? Why not try to help people out as much as possible? It just doesn’t make sense to me.

We are going to be baptizing Ashley Scruggs on the 15th of May! She didn’t come to church again so we had to move her date to the 15th but I’m almost positive that she is going to be at church and will be able to make her date of the 15th. She reset her date for us we didn’t do it for her. It is definitely something that she wants and I don’t mind giving her.

We had some really neat weather last weekend! We were in a severe thunderstorm watch for about 9 hours or so. There was a bad tornado that touched down in Mississippi that killed 9 people I think. There were also tornados that touched town in Cullman County which is the next county over. The Zone Leaders, Elder Ryszka and Elder Howard said that while the tornado sirens were going off and they could hear the tornado they were in a lesson and set a baptismal date with a lady! That would be so could to be having all of this havoc and crazy things happening all around you and you are calmly seated next to your companion teaching someone about the Lords restored gospel on the earth today!! Man that pumps me up!! Then on Sunday it was really really hot and then the past 3days have been pretty cold for summer. We’ve been down in the 60s most of the time which is highly unusual for this time of year here. I love it though! It’s my kind of weather!

That was way exciting to hear that Brett received his Mission call and that he will be serving just south of me and just north of Kevin. I love how it all works out. I love that Tyson Nicoll is right above me and that Brett is right below me and that Kevin is right below him. It gives me comfort for some reason knowing that.

Well that’s about it! Its been a great week and I hope to be able to talk to you guys on Mother’s day if by chance you will be at home. I don’t know if I can call you all individually or not.

Love Ya’ll

Elder Haws

No comments:

Post a Comment