Tuesday, April 5, 2011

January 31, 2011

Dear Family and all others who will be reading this,
This has been one of the most uplifting weeks on my mission. I have had so many experiences that have let me know that what I am doing is definatley the right thing. I recieved a letter from a girl that was baptized right before I was transfered into the area. She has sinced moved out to Orem and is going to school there. She informed me of her life and her thoughts and it turns out that she is getting ready to go to the temple in less than 5 months and then is planning on serving a mission. Here is a girl that before she found the gospel of Jesus Christ was doing things that are definatley not good and now you can't even tell when you look at her. She is so happy and her countenance is completly different.
Also our Mission President has set up a day with the Temple in Birmingham once a month that is set apart just for New Members to come and do Baptisms in the Temple. He said there is a 1000% increase on retension if we can get New Members to the temple within 60 days of thier baptism. Our first day was on the 28th of Jan. and we were able to have 5 of our New Members go. One of which was addicted to Alcohol and drugs. But 3 days ago he went to the Temple and he shared with us in chruch the feelings that he had while he was there. He said" I was full of good energy, I was full of the spirit." He said before I was in the temple I felt empty and as soon as I walked in I got hot and I got chills and I felt so good in my whole body" It brought tears to my eyes hearing the testimony of this brother who still has so many problems in his life. He has been out of a job for 3 months he has no food for his son he has to drive a car with bad stickers to try to find work. He has family in Mexico he hasn't seen for 15 years just so many things that he knows the lord is going to take care of him if he does what is right.
I know that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know that as we live the doctrines of Jesus Christ and not the Doctrines of man, that God will help us in all things that we need. I know that it is so easy to justify the things that we want to do and to have so that we will feel good but I have a testimony that only by realizing our faults and taking them to the Lord we can be truly happy and this brother and sister are truly happy in the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
We had a conference with Elder Cornish of the 70 at the mission house on Saturday. We were able to learn alot about how to study the language of spanish and also how we can help our investigatores leave the spanish culture and live the culture of Christ. It was really good. Elder Cornish is so amazing. He served his mission in Guatemala and served as a mission president in Cuba. The hispanics have a thing that they do when they are excited, I know that Tyson knows what it is, They slap there index finger against the rest of there hand. When Elder Cornish (of the seventy i'll remind you) heard that Elder Abac was from guatemala he started slaping his finger against his hand and shouted "Hijole" It was so great to see the emotion on all of our faces! It was great fun.
Thanks mom for the pictures. I was able to find out alot of the changes that have taked place since I have been gone. For instance there are two missing trees in the front yard. the one that was right next to the house and the one that was right where we park. I also had no idea that you got a new fireplace. It looks good. It is alot smaller though? does it do better at heating the house? Dallins truck looks nice. Was he able to pay for all of it from the insurance money? I also want to say thanks to Aunt Dorie for the package! It was greatly appreciated! many very good snacks were involved! Thanks again.
Well it is time to go! I love all of you and I appreciate your prayers and your letters.
Love Elder Haws.

No comments:

Post a Comment